Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's All About Me!

I’m so important to God that Jesus Christ would have died on the cross just to save me, even if I were the only person on planet earth.

Let’s just take a moment and bask in the amazing love, mercy, and grace of God.

Let’s think about how precious we must be to God. Let’s focus on all the neat things He has done for us. Let’s make it all about us. Salvation is all about me, isn’t it?

Whups. Wrong answer.

There is blessed truth in some of what I just said. Jesus Christ really did die for my sins (along with the sins of the whole world). He really did reach out to me when I was in sin, an abominable wretch with no goodness in me and deserving of no goodness from Him. This proved His love beyond all possible doubt. He really does love me, and He really is my friend, not just an impersonal God. I'm not just a number to Him - I'm His precious child.

But it’s not all about me. Truly, it’s all for His glory. And even in the human scheme, I am not a stopping place for God’s love. I was never intended to be merely a destination for His love.

I John 4:12 says, “No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us.” The people of this world cannot see God. But they can see you and me.

God is love. (I John 4:8) But since they can’t see God, the only representation of the character of God that people have is how we who claim to be Christians treat them.

Only when we love them like God loved us is God’s love perfected in us. That doesn’t mean God’s love is flawed until we do something to make it right. That means God’s love hasn’t accomplished its intended purpose until it has flowed through us and touched someone else.

When we make salvation and the love of God all about us, we bottle up something that was meant to flow. We try to make a battery out of what should be a wire. We aren’t saved so we can sit around feeling snuggly in the love of God – we are saved so we can take His love to other people. Only when we do that is His love doing what it was meant to do in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment