Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How to Win, introduction

In a comment on my last post, I was asked about my thoughts on accountability. It's a dramatically under-used tool in beating sin in general and addictions in particular. It's not a cure-all, of course; you can have accountability and still fail, and some have succeeded without it. I don't even think it's the most important tool (given its relative prominence to other truths in Scripture). Nonetheless, it's a valuable tool, and it bears discussion. Sin thrives in darkness, and it shrivels in the light. Accountability is one way to shine light on your life.

However, that got me thinking. Instead of just dealing with one tool for beating an addiction or sin, why not address several? So I'm going to do a series of posts on how to get victory over sin and addiction.

For anyone who's wondering, yeah, I'm still clean. I guess if I'm going to talk about how to beat sin and addiction, I'd better stay that way. I'd hate to end up the spiritual equivalent of Jake Delhomme giving an off-season clinic on how to avoid throwing interceptions.

Have you won or are you currently winning a battle against a sin or addiction? What tools did you use, and which ones helped the most? Did you find ways to use those tools that worked better than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment