Friday, December 18, 2009

So Nice to Talk without the Shouting

I had another post in the works, but things have gotten crazy around here because of Christmas ministry madness, and I wanted to mention something else anyhow. I've really been enjoying the conversation with author Bruce Baker in the comments thread of this post. Even if we never come to complete agreement on the subject, we have found much common ground, and I, for one, have been forced to carefully think through my position, the Scriptures I'm resting it on, and the implications of it. Thought like that is always a good thing.

It's a given that believers, even Fundamental believers, won't walk into every conversation agreeing with each other on every point. It should be a given that our mutual goals are the glory of God and all of us getting closer to Him. That means we need to be gracious in our communication with each other, especially where there are points of disagreement. I'm not talking about compromising on the fundamentals - I'm talking about discussing the Scriptures in a way that edifies all involved and all who see and hear. That doesn't mean ignoring the differences in viewpoints, but it does mean not shouting about them and descending into name-calling over them. It means discussing them with clarity and gentleness.

It's such a blessing to find other believers who view interaction about the Scriptures the same way. Conversations like this give me greater hope for Fundamentalism than even our apparent growth rate does.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you've profited from our interaction. I know I have.

    I've found that fundamentalists normally don't shout at one another until reason has left the room. Reason beats a hasty retreat when someone so set on their position that there is no consideration of an alternative viewpoint digs in their heels.

    Now in fairness, not all viewpoints are equal. Sometimes people are just mis-interpreting the Scripture (or the doctrinal statement they profess to believe, but I digress). Then loving engagement is necessary.

    But reason flees most often when things that aren't doctrinal in nature arrive center stage. I'd mention a few, but this would surely not bring peace if certain people were to read this. :-) I think you know what I'm talking about.

    At any rate, I look forward to our continued conversations. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you and yours had a great one too. I look forward to the conversations, as well.

    I think I'm agreed on all of your statements above. Eventually, I expect I'll address some of those issues you're not naming, benefited especially then by the anonymity I've got here. *grins* Then, if certain people read this, they won't know who they're shouting at.

    ReplyDelete